Air Cleaning Solutions for Springtime AllergensPublished on: April 4, 2014
Springtime brings warm days, blooming flowers and blossoming trees. It also ushers in seasonal allergies that cause sneezing, coughing and itchy eyes. Taking measures now, such as implementing air cleaning solutions, will keep your home clear of most allergens.
Many springtime allergens come from the flowers and trees that are coming awake after a long winter’s sleep. Many people are sensitive to the pollen being released. Being outdoors can be sheer misery at the height of the pollen season. Even worse, pollen can get inside your home every time you open a window or door. It clings to your clothing and transfers to your home’s surfaces. Other indoor allergens also can cause springtime problems. Pet dander and dust-mite debris are two main culprits.
How Can You Alleviate Springtime Allergens?
- Stay indoors as much as possible. The less exposure to pollen, the less likely you are to have allergic reactions.
- Remove clothing you wear outside as soon as you enter the home. Keep certain sets of clothing designated for working in the yard. Take off work clothes as soon as you come home.
- Don’t hang laundry outside. Pollen will cling to the drying clothing like a magnet.
- Wear a dust mask when you have to work outside. This will keep your exposure to pollen and other allergens to a minimum.
- Keep the windows and doors of your home closed. Don’t linger with the door open while entering and exiting.
- Use quality air filters on your HVAC system. Upgrade from basic fiberglass air filters to those with a MERV rating of 5 to 8. You could consider adding an electrostatically charged filter instead. Clean and change air filters regularly.
- Consider installing an air purifier. If you suffer from severe allergies, an air cleaner will help tremendously. This system hooks into your ductwork and cleans the air before sending it out to the house.
If you want more information on air cleaning solutions, contact us to find qualified HVAC contractors in your area. We offer referrals to top HVAC professionals throughout the Southeast.