How You Can Extend the Life of Your Heating and Cooling SystemsPublished on: May 23, 2015
Heating and cooling systems are quite expensive, so it’s important to understand to make them last as long as possible. Here are our favorite tips on how to extend the life of your heating and cooling systems so you can get the most bang for your buck:
- Replace the air filter – Your system’s air filter helps prevent irritants and pollutants from being distributed into your home’s air. When the filter becomes clogged with dust and dirt, it causes the heating or cooling system to work harder, which can wear it out prematurely. To avoid this, replace the air filter every 1 to 2 months, or as needed.
- Clean the outdoor condensing unit – The exterior unit is exposed to outdoor elements like dust, leaves and grass clippings, all of which can build up and negatively impede its performance. The good news is that cleaning the unit is easy. Just grab a hose every once in a while and gently spray it down.
- Maintain good airflow – When your home has good airflow, your heating and cooling systems don’t have to work so hard to keep you comfortable. Leaving interior doors and vents open are an easy way to accomplish this.
- Clean duct vents and grills – If you clean the vents and grills located at the opening of each duct once a year, the HVAC system will operate more efficiently. Cleaning doesn’t require the help of an HVAC professional. All you need to do is remove the grill and either vacuum out the dust or wipe the area down.
- Keep discharge pipes open – If the discharge or condensation pipe that runs outside your home becomes clogged left unattended, the drip pan could overflow and you may be looking at damage to the ceiling or floor, not to mention possible damage to your system and compromised efficiency. Check the pipe on a regular basis to make sure that it’s clean and clear of any debris.
For more expert advice on how to extend the life of your heating and cooling systems or any other home comfort issues, please contact the one of the friendly contractors on our website.