How to Control Humidity in Basements with Whole House DehumidifiersPublished on: July 30, 2019
Humidity Control – Whole House Dehumidifier
Living in the Southeastern part of the USA means that we are accustomed to dealing with lots of humidity in our homes. Both on the main living levels and in our basements. Many people might initially think a portable dehumidifier is the best way to control basement humidity. But installing a whole house dehumidifier might actually be the best dehumidifier for your basement and your home in general. We’ve put together a list of our top 5 reasons why a central dehumidifier is better for your Southeastern US home than a portable dehumidifier.
Top 5 Dehumidifier Reasons
1. Dehumidifies Every Room – One of the primary benefits of purchasing a whole-house dehumidifier is that it will help you control the humidity level in every room of your house, not just the basement.
2. Less Mold – High humidity encourages mold growth. When you have the humidity level at a proper level, mold is less likely to form. Since basements are usually a prime area for mold to grow, it is essential that you keep your basement humidity levels under control.
3. May Reduce Energy Bills – Air conditioners often have to work overtime in order to make humid homes feel more comfortable. By using a whole-house dehumidifier, you may actually reduce your energy consumption if you are able to set your AC at a higher temperature.
4. Keeps Bugs Out – When you keep mold from growing in your house, you also can keep mold-feeding bugs away. Less mold = fewer bugs.
5. Less Maintenance – Whole-house dehumidifiers are made better than portable dehumidifiers. Therefore they require much less maintenance. In addition, portable dehumidifiers usually have a tank that holds the water. You will have to check the tank and empty it regularly. Duct-based dehumidifiers, on the other hand; will release excess water through an external drain, making these units infinitely more convenient.
By selecting an HVAC dehumidifier, you can take care of humidity levels in your entire house, not just your basement. The 5 reasons we’ve listed above are just a few of the reasons to choose a ducted humidifier over a portable one. Contact your trusted HVAC tech to get a quote on installing a whole house dehumidifier today!