Should I Replace my Furnace System When the AC Goes OutPublished on: August 1, 2019
Has your air conditioner has gone out and you’ve decided to replace it? You might be wondering if you should go ahead and replace your furnace system as well. Purchasing a new furnace system and AC at the same time is most likely the bests option. Sometimes moving forward with a full HVAC replacement can be worth the expense, especially since newer efficiency systems are manufactured to match as pairs.
Furnace System and Air Conditioner Replacement – When to Say Yes
There are several scenarios that indicate it is time for a furnace replacement right along with your AC replacement. These include:
• Age – If your furnace is over 10 years, it may be in your best interest to replace it along with your AC unit. This will allow you to upgrade your entire system, which might increase the overall efficiency of both units.
• Issues of Installation – If your home’s design makes installation of a new AC unit very complicated, you may consider replacing your furnace at the same time. This will help keep you from having to repeat the process in a few years’ time.
• High Efficiency – If you’re thinking about purchasing a new high-efficiency AC system (with a SEER over 21), then you might want to replace your furnace too. High-efficiency systems work best in pairs.
• Income – If you anticipate being on a fixed income in the near future, it might be a good time to replace your furnace while you have the extra cash flow.
• Protection from price increases – heating and air conditioning systems have price increases every year and sometimes more than 1 especially if the price of metals such as copper goes up. Replacing the entire system now will protect your wallet from increased prices.
HVAC Replacement– When to Hold Off
If your furnace is under 10 years old, and the HVAC dealer recommends keeping it, it is rarely essential that it be replaced at the same time as your air conditioner. If an HVAC dealer is adamant that you replace both systems at the same time, there is most likely a technical reason that makes the most sense.
Knowing when to move forward with replacing your furnace at the same time as your AC unit doesn’t have to be confusing. By arming yourself with a few basic tips about replacing your HVAC system, and choosing a reputable dealer from the AC Southeast® Dealer locator you can be sure to make the correct choice.