Should You Repair or Replace Your Broken Heating and Air SystemPublished on: November 15, 2019
What to do when your Heating and Air System is Broken
At some point in time your heating and air system will break down. You will be faced with the difficult decision of whether to repair or replace your HVAC. There are distinct benefits of HVAC repair. But just as many for HVAC replacement. We’ve compiled a list of benefits for both to help you decide when to invest the money to replace your broken heating and air system.
Benefits of Repairing an HVAC System
– Depending on the age of your system, repairing it might make the most financial sense. If your unit is under 10 years old, you may want to consider repairing it.
– If the cost of repairing your unit is less than 50% of its value, and you aren’t calling a repair tech every other week, then it might be more cost effective to simply repair your unit.
– Are you are planning on moving in the near future? If the repairs aren’t too costly, you may want to restore its basic functions.
– If your HVAC unit is teetering on the edge of the recommended age limit, your trusted HVAC technician may be able to perform some simple repairs to help get another year or two out of your unit.
Benefits of Replacing an HVAC System
– Newer systems are much more energy efficient. If the cost of repairing your unit is more than 50% of your unit’s value, it makes financial sense to go ahead and move forward with AC replacement.
– Furnace replacement (and air conditioner replacement) can often bring various tax incentives and even rebates from energy companies such as the electrical company or the gas company.
– Newer HVAC systems will require less maintenance and often come with warranties you can use against future repairs.
– New HVAC systems provide a much higher comfort level and can be much quieter if you choose premium higher efficiency systems.
– Installing new HVAC systems is a great way to address any current heating or cooling issues your home may be experiencing such as colder or hotter rooms. Just make sure to explain these situations to the heating & air company providing your replacement recommendations.
Know When to Replace Your Heating and Air System
If you are still on the fence about repairing or replacing your broken HVAC system, keep these tips in mind: If your unit is over 10 years old or if it is constantly breaking down, it is time to replace it. Also, if your unit is terribly loud or is heating/cooling your house unevenly, then you might want to consider replacing it. When in doubt, contact your local HVAC company, who can help you make the best decision for your home.