How to Control Humidity in Your HomePublished on: January 30, 2020
Living in the Southeastern part of the US means fighting a constant battle against humidity. There are several things homeowners can do to help manage the humidity level in the home; some are quick fixes, and some will require a quick visit from your local HVAC professional. If you are wondering how to control humidity in your home, you’re in luck. We’ve put together a list of the top 20 things homeowners can do to control the moisture in their houses and have shared it with you below.
Reduce Humidity Levels Through Your Air Conditioner
1. Invest in an AC unit that has a variable speed air handler.
2. Install a whole-house dehumidifier.
3. Install a smart thermostat to control home humidity.
4. Set your fan to automatic.
5. Ensure your filters are cleaned and replaced regularly.
Remove Moisture from the Air via Home Improvements and Maintenance
6. Install a whole house dehumidifier.
7. Extend your downspouts further away from the house.
8. Keep your downspouts and gutters clean.
9. Install high-end vent fans in your bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen.
10. Promote good air circulation by installing and running ceiling fans in your home.
11. Check for water leaks or leaky ducts that might contribute to higher indoor humidity levels.
12. Ensure your AC drain lines and drip pans are clean and free from debris.
Additional Tips and Natural Dehumidifiers
13. Houseplants such as Boston Ferns and English Ivy will draw moisture from the air.
14. Whenever you can, cover your pots with lids while you are cooking.
15. Improve air circulation by leaving doors throughout your house open.
16. If you have an aquarium, put a cover on it.
17. Store firewood outside.
18. Make sure your dryer vent is sealed and terminating outside the house.
19. Take cooler, shorter showers.
20. Use dehumidifiers in unfinished spaces such as basements or bonus rooms.
No matter what time of year it is, excess humidity in your house can make everyone feel uncomfortable and can exacerbate certain medical conditions. These 20 tips are designed to help your remove humidity from your home and keep everyone happy and healthy. The key to humidity control in the Southeast is through steady continual efforts every day. A variable speed heating and air conditioning system with humidity controls installed offers peace of mind that your humidity levels will be controlled automatically. Let us help you find a professional near you.