Your Pre-Service HVAC ChecklistPublished on: July 15, 2020
Pre-Service HVAC Checklist
Being prepared for your HVAC appointment can help save you time, money and frustration. Before your technician arrives, it is essential to gather some necessary details and be ready to answer specific questions. Being prepared will ensure that your technician can work as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here is a pre-service HVAC checklist to review before your next heating and cooling appointment.
Before Calling an HVAC Technician:
- Check the air filter. Dirty and ill-fitted air filters can cause many problems.
- Try to troubleshoot the problem if you feel comfortable. Your thermostat could need new batteries or debris may be blocking your outdoor unit.
- If you rent, call the landlord first! The landlord might have a preferred HVAC technician or might be able to help you troubleshoot.
Make a Note of Your Equipment Details:
- Locate all of the heating and cooling units in your home.
- Jot down the make and model numbers. This will be useful if your unit requires new parts.
- Have available previous service dates and information if known. Any documents relating to prior services should be available to show the technician.
Be Prepared to Answer These Questions:
- What problems is your HVAC having?
- What symptoms have you noticed?
- When did your problem begin?
- Has the problem been getting worse?
- Has the electric bill been higher than usual?
While You Are Booking an HVAC Appointment:
- Inform the HVAC consultant of any smart connected devices.
- Ask what payment methods are accepted, and when payment is required. Ask if they offer financing options.
- Confirm how much the service consultation is expected to cost.
- Ask for a contact number in case you need to amend the appointment.
- Set a reminder of the service date, time, company name, and technician name if known.
Before the Technician Arrives:
- If your heat pump is frozen, shut it off 6 hours in advance. Make sure it is thawed.
- Write down any questions you have for the technician before the visit, including what the next steps are if any issues are identified.
- Ensure an adult (someone over 18) will be home.
- Secure all pets, so they don’t get in the way.
- Clear the space around all units, so they are easily accessible by the servicer.
- Have your payment method ready.
- Keep your phone handy in case the technician calls to confirm the appointment or let you know they are running early or late.
Locate an HVAC Technician Near You
By following this pre-service HVAC checklist, it will be easier and quicker for your technician to find and fix your heating and cooling problems. If you are ready to book an appointment, let AC Southeast® find a qualified HVAC professional near you.