How Do I Find a Good AC Company?Published on: August 18, 2014
When you need air conditioner service, the first and most important step is to locate a good AC company. The wrong company will make the process more tedious than it should be, and it may end up costing you much more than you ought to be spending. Hiring a reliable and experienced HVAC contractor requires a little research and tenacity, but you will find that this preliminary legwork is well worth the effort.
All Contractors Are Not Alike
The fatal assumption made by many people looking for a good AC company is that all contractors are alike. Just because someone has a contractor’s license, it doesn’t mean he or she is honest and provides reliable service.
While it is unfair to say that the majority of AC contractors are dishonest, it is a reality that many companies fail to train their technicians adequately and cannot serve the public as well as they could. In addition, the contractor may only push for new air conditioner installation rather than properly diagnosing the problem and offering to perform inexpensive repairs.
Ask the Right Questions
Your diligence in finding a good AC contractor begins with asking the right questions, and in many cases, these questions and some independent verification is all it takes. The most important questions to ask a new candidate for AC services are as follows:
- How long has the company been in business? The length of time the contractor has been in business is a good indicator of how experienced he or she is. However, it does not mean that the actual air conditioning technician working in your home or office has the same amount of experience.
- Are your technicians bonded and insured? This is extremely important because if mistakes are made and your home is damaged, the contractor must be held responsible and be able to pay the costs.
- How can I contact you? A reliable AC company will have a permanent address and phone number that can be verified and, ideally, a website. You should be able to reach someone at the company at any time during regular business hours.
- Are you and your technicians licensed and certified? The contractor must have a state-issued contractor’s license, and all technicians should hold NATE certification. In addition, it is a good sign if the company belongs to a national trade association, such as the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA).
- Do you have any references? The AC company should be able to provide you with at least three references from recent customers.
- How do you ensure satisfaction? The contractor should perform diagnostic testing and provide you with a quote before any work is performed. The company should also back its labor and products with a written guarantee.
Use a Pre-Screened Directory
To make it easier to find good AC companies with air conditioning technicians who hold NATE certification, AC Southeast® has compiled a directory of qualified HVAC contractors in the region. Visit the website today to get started.